2016

Hello friends!

I hope everyone has had a good start to 2016. I had meant to write my "year in review" post earlier, but to be honest, 2015 was so awful I just couldn't bring myself to revisit it. I think I'm finally ready now to reflect on the year.

2015 was another challenging year for me. There were several academic issues throughout the early part of the year that left me feeling overwhelmed and drained. My knee injury also had huge repercussions for me, since it postponed my research and kept me from going on a field course to the Great Bear Rainforest. Not surprisingly, I didn't do too well on my New Years Resolutions.

2015 Resolutions:
✓ Work on developing a balanced life
✗ Garner self-love and provide self-care
✓ Continue working on overcoming my trichotillomania compulsions
✗ At least one creative session (sketch, painting) a week
✗ Progress not perfection
✗ More adventures

However, there were some good things that came out of 2015. I was lucky enough to meet a new person who's added a lot of balance and energy to my life.


Meet B, my boyfriend of the past 9 months. We met playing ultimate frisbee, and he was with me on the day I dislocated my patella. It was our second date. Since then, B has been one of the most caring and supportive people I know. He also understands the anxieties of academia and has pushed me to improve my work-life balance and to get the support I need for my mental health.

B was the man behind the camera while we waited for the ambulance after I dislocated my kneecap.

My relationship with B is bound to be bittersweet. We both have different career goals and outlooks that are going to take us to very different places. Until then, I'm blessed to have him in my life. We're both very supportive of each other's dreams and goals. He's definitely set the bar in terms of what I'm willing to accept in a relationship.

I'm also proud to report that I've been hard at work this year on managing my trichotillomania as well as my overall mental health. It's been difficult and I relapse with my trich quite often. I think it comes down to the bad environment I'm in as a grad student. I feel stressed over the future, finances, and my workload, all while feeling unmotivated and eager to live normally again. This year things will likely get better since all of these stresses will dissolve once I finish my research and defend my thesis.

For 2016, I'm not going to set high expectations or unrealistic resolutions. I'm just going to aim to do what I think it'll take to get my life closer to where I want it to be.

Resolutions:


Wishing everyone a wonderful 2016!

Labels: