2018 Resolutions and Goals

Happy New Year friends!

I hope you've all had a good start to 2018. I'm excited to have a fresh beginning this year. I feel that for a lot of us, 2017 was very emotionally exhausting. Politics became a spectacle in the US, and in turn, had an impact here in Canada. On a positive note, the turmoil did help to highlight the complacency that still exists here in America (whether it be racism, sexism, transphobia, or indifference). 2017 became a year of calling out abusers, which also made survivors of the abuse relive their traumas. I hope progress continues in 2018, but more than ever, it's a good time to be prioritizing and practicing self-care.

This past year I tried to be much kinder to myself and set realistic goals. I had an amazing circle of support: an insightful counselor, understanding friends, and a cuddly cat. It was a successful year for me, and I kept most of my resolutions.

2017 Resolutions:

✓ Progress not perfection
✓ Rehab to get back on the ultimate field 
✓ More adventures
✗ More time doing the things I love (blogging, art, reading)
✓ Finish my thesis 


That first resolution was the wise words of my counselor. Quite honestly, I don't think I could have been so successful without it. These past few years I've been in a physical and mental health slump, so taking things a day at a time really helped. 

In 2017 I got back on an ultimate frisbee field after my kneecap dislocation in 2015. My knee may never feel totally "perfect" again, but at least the injury is no longer occupying a place in my mind. I also was able to get out and do more hikes this year (although you wouldn't know it from my bad blogging). Most importantly, I finally finished my thesis and graduated from my Masters degree. Thankfully I'm now onto the next exciting chapter of my life. 

I use my vision board more routinely for inspiration and direction. Even compared to the goals and values laid out in my vision board, this year was a productive one for me:

✓ I graduated my Masters
✓ Moved back to a sunnier climate that's much better for my mental health 
✓ Continued to foster strong, female friendships 
✓ Applied for over 45 jobs in my field (and kept track of each one!)
✓ I even had my hair dyed blonde 


My bigger goals now all rely on my life "falling into place" so to speak. Hopefully, I'll find a job soon, get my foot in the door, start my career, get a dog, and a place, and live happily ever after. But until then, I have to focus on the goals and values I can control. For that reason, I'm going to focus on the upper right quadrant of my vision board this year. 


This is the inspiration and communication part of my vision board. I'd like to focus on my artistic side, which has been long-neglected due to my academic pursuits. So I've decided I'd like to start drawing and painting again, possibly even set up an Etsy account too. I'd also like to start creating more blog content this year. A big interest of mine has always been moving this blog to my own site, and I think that's something I'm capable of pursuing now. 

So, my resolutions this year have shifted to prioritize everything I couldn't do last year.

2018 Resolutions:

How did you fare throughout 2017? And do you have any important resolutions for the new year? 

Wishing all of you a positive and safe 2018!

Amanda xox

Labels: , , , ,